Sunday 13 May 2012

That flood sign 2

Ok so playing cricket yesterday is not conducive to biking today. I kept wicket for 40 overs and what felt like 3 hours of squat thrusts. Just the thing to warm up the quads for cycling. I enjoy keeping wicket keeping at the time but during the evening I felt like I'd be thrown out the back of a moving car at 30mph. I have also been following Britain's got talent albeit sometimes by accident. I watched it all this week and the last half of the live final only to fall asleep 5 minutes before the big reveal to wake up watching the ITN news, I still don't know who won or really care, which I think is worrying. By the time I got up this morning I felt like I'd been thrown from a moving car at 40 mph.  I headed out with legs made of lead and decided the guided bus way wouldn't be flooded despite that bloody sign.

It wasn't but for 250 yards, I slowly edged past it and headed to Cambridge from St Ives, I returned to the flooded section on the way back which was taunting me. I'd already clocked up 24 miles but decided 250 yards of water wouldn't stop me. A cyclist on the higher, drier path stopped to watch and I mounted my manly assault, about a quarter of the way across I realized I would never make it, the water got deeper and my legs were steaming. It hurt so much but I ploughed on, my front wheel made a wake that made it slightly easier, halfway across I started wobbling, which made it 20 times harder, a couple of joggers passed me on the higher path, smiling smugly, the water was over my chainset. I made it to the other end and the cyclist smiled and shouted something about mud which didn't rhyme with any swear words so I waved back. The joggers slowed down and one shouted "That looked like fun". Just to reassure him I replied "It really hurt." . The moral of the story is don't try feats of manliness when tired and in front of an audience.

I made it home and racked up 33 miles my furthest ever in one day, it hurts but once again my thoughts turn to egg mayo, ham and beer.

In other news I'm seeing a reporter and photographer for a photoshoot next week. I can't get Premier Inn to understand quite how to help me, but they will. Specialized are ignoring me but I think my next jobs will turn to spamming work friends and family this week for more sponsor ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment